Did you know when your child turns 18, you are no longer able to make financial or healthcare decisions for them? Being their parent does NOT allow you to make a decision for them if they are hurt, sick, injured and not able to speak for themselves.

Here are some important questions you need to discuss with your young adult before they head off to college, trade school or out into the working business world.

  • If you were to get into an accident or got sick:
    • Who is going to pay the bills or get information about your insurance if you are not able to?
    • Who will make medical decisions if you are in an accident or unable to make a decision for yourself?
    • Who can the doctors, nurses or hospital talk to about your health or needs?

If you or your adult dependent does not have documents in place to designate who can help you if you are unable to help yourself, then the courts will decide who is going to be responsible for making those decisions. Just because you financially support your 18+ year old, does not give you the ability to make those important decisions if they are not able to speak for themselves. The simple step of getting a Financial & Healthcare Durable Power of Attorney, a Living Will and a HIPAA in place will give you a peace of mind and allow you the ability to help your adult child when they need you the most! We never want to think about something happening to our loved one. However, if you are prepared for the worst, then you will have more options of care, less stress in trying to help your child in need and they will be a part of making the decision of who is going to take care of them if they are not able to themselves.

Get a Plan, Work the Plan!